Saturday, August 22, 2009

Poetry Corner #7: Too Late

I haven't done one of these for a long time. I was recently going through my old songs that I'd written, and I found this one. I don't ever remember writing it, but apparently I had. It must've been in the last couple years of my military service, which I have apparently blocked out large chunks from my memory. I have no idea why this was written or who it was about, but I love the angst and the hints at vampirism throughout.

Too Late
You've known a lifetime of pain
Your face is pale, your color drained
Smeared black mascara like darkness hangs
Blood red lips encircle bloody fangs

Hurting like a vampire's kiss
The living dead in a state of bliss
All you'll get is just one wish
But you don't know what to make of this

All you know are the growing pains
All you know are the living pains
All you can do is run away from the pain
Run away from the pain

I gaze upon your pale face and into your dead eyes
You are so angelic and I somehow want to cry
I've never understood what kind of a God on high
Could let someone so wonderful endure so much pain in life

And all you can do is run away from the pain…
And all you can do is run away from the pain…

The hounds of hatred and greed and lust
Follow you everywhere you try to hide
Every time you find someone you feel you can trust
They make sure you'll die just a little more inside

And the dogs they feast upon your flesh
And the vampires feast upon your brain
You cry out from the far reaches of your soul
No one comes; no one cares; all you ever know is pain

All you know are the growing pains
All you know are the living pains
All you can do is run away from the pain
Run away from the pain

Then I come upon you a little too late in life
Kindred spirits – just a little we each have died
It's too late…
Too late…
You no longer remember how not to hate
I could never hurt you, but it's too late
You can't remember how to trust
All you can do is hate
I see you, and I love you
I need to protect you
From the vandals
From the vampires
From the abuse
But I can't protect you from you

You no longer remember how not to hate
I come upon you just a little too late…
Just a little too late…
Too late…

I gaze upon your pale face and into your dead eyes
You are so angelic and I somehow want to cry
I've never understood what kind of a God on high
Could let someone so beloved endure so much pain in life

And all you can do is run away from the pain…
All you can do is run away from the pain…

And I can't save you
It's too late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home