Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Sorry, Democracy Is Changing

America actually managed to pull their heads from their asses and vote for the right candidate for President. I'm actually a bit shocked. History has indicated that stuff like this isn't supposed to happen in this decade.

We cannot acknowledge this staggering victory without accepting that the Republican Party helped out a lot by apparently not even caring anymore. They managed to nominate one of their more promising candidates and then make him look like a senile old coot by running his campaign like circus bears juggling on unicycles.

I can't comprehend how the Republican party can't see just how cocky they've become when their incumbent President is disliked by nearly three-quarters of the country and they remake their next Presidential nominee in practically the same image. I wouldn't say it was necessarily difficult for Barack Obama to win this election. All he had to do was not be John Kerry.

I don't mean to detract from the significance of this occasion. The Republicans did manage to convince a good amount of rural America that anybody possessing brown skin is automatically an A-rab terrorist, so for Obama to overcome that sort of irrational fear in a majority of voters is no trivial feat. For Obama to overcome the countless stereotypes and lies that have been spread through the media and sweep an overwhelming victory out from under the feet of a previously-thought unstoppable campaign juggernaut is certainly worthy of admiration. Particularly since he opted to combat the negative campaigning with a moderately positive campaign. I guess sometimes you can win by taking the high road, and I guess Americans aren't quite as gullible as I might have suspected.

I do feel just a little sorry for McCain. I never did really dislike the man. I disliked his campaigning, and I didn't believe he was the right choice to lead our country, but he seems like a nice guy. I never did think he hated Obama. There were candid moments all through the campaign where he seemed to show a great deal of respect and admiration for the man. I think his irritability stemmed from knowing his last chance for the Presidency was slipping from his grasp, not from Obama himself. They say it is better to be disliked for who you are than liked for who you're not. In 2000, McCain was disliked for who he was, and eight years later, he was disliked for who he wasn't. I know on some level it has to hurt, and I feel for him because I'm too empathetic.

I'd long suspected Obama would win, but most of the polls were close enough that it made me nervous. I can't say I'm not glad to be right. I just hope the same thing I hope for every President, that he doesn't doom us all.


np: Killing Joke - "Madness"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home