Friday, December 14, 2007

Still Alive. I Give You The Gift Of Meme.

This seemed too fun to not do. More will be coming later, I promise.

Fill this out about your SENIOR year of high school!

The longer ago it was, the more fun the answers will be!

REPOST with name of high school and graduating year! Rock Island High School, 1996.

1. Did you date someone from your school?
No I dated a girl from our rival school in the neighboring city. We met at work.

2. Did you win anything in Senior's Who's Who?
Most Original or something like that to indicate that I was fucking weird. Me and Christie Voigt got it. I saw her recently. She looks the same as she did back then, and I noted she wasn't married. Made me kind of wonder...

3. What kind of car did you drive?
I didn't have a car that year.

4. It's Friday night...where r u?
Doing something with my girlfriend. God knows what. It varied from week to week.

5. Were you a party animal?
No, I'm too socially paranoid for parties.

6. Were you considered a flirt?
No, I'm too socially paranoid for flirting.

7. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir?
No. I don't have the attention span to play instruments. I may have ADD or something.

8. Were you a nerd?
I wouldn't say so. I was one of the main leaders of the outcasts, but I never really considered myself one of them. I hung around them because they were a funny bunch of really nice people, but I was really the sort who could slip into any social circle because I didn't identify myself with any of them.

9. Did you get suspended/expelled?
No. I was never caught, and I don't think I ever did anything bad enough to warrant that anyway.

10. Do you remember your school fight song?
I don't even remember if my school had a fight song. The "Peter Gunn Theme," maybe? The band seemed to like to play that a lot.

11. Who were your favorite teachers?
Earl Strupp. Dude was a pure genius. You could learn more just listening to the man talk than from any textbook in the school. He was soft-spoken, kind-hearted, and wise. I met him recently too. It has been, what, nearly twelve years years now since high school, and he saw me and just said, "When did I teach you?" I told him between 1992 and 1996. I had several of his classes. He said, "Ah yes. Are you still writing—Of course you're still writing." We had a delightful conversation.

12. Where did you sit during lunch?
My lunch table got so popular that it broke off into splinter cells. My friends and I viewed it as our empire, with the other tables as our colonies. One time, we decided to attack our "colonies" with caps from our empty drink bottles. We were told not to do that again.

13.What was your school's full name?
Rock Island Senior High School.

14. School mascot?
A giant rock that sat outside the north face of the building and got stolen at the start of each year. Our swim team was called The Swimming Rocks. No lie.

15. Homecoming court?
Jester.

16. If you could go back and do it again, would you?
Oh fuck yeah! If I could go back knowing everything I know now, I could bring that place to its knees! High school was so much easier. It's paying bills that sucks.

17. Where did you go senior skip day?
I'm not sure. It obviously wasn't that important. I might not have even participated.

18.Were you in any clubs?
The writer's guild was the only one that interested me, and I became president. I hung out after school with the chess club, but I was never an official member. Mr. Strupp kept wanting me to join because I would play the rookies and beat them. It was good initiation, getting beat by a guy who called the Knights "horsies" and the Rooks "ashtrays."

19. Have you gained some weight since then?
Yeah.

20. Who was your Senior prom date.
Linda. You don't get a last name. She knows who she is.

21. Are you planning on going to your 10 year reunion?
I got notified, considered it, kind of forgot to ever RSVP, and decided it probably wasn't worth it. A few people who went told me it really wasn't. I'm surprised I even got invited considering that the president of the glee club or pep club or whatever fucking club presides over the reunions hated my entire social circle because one of my friends made fun of her black eye after getting hit in the face with a softball because she was a bitch.

22. Who was your home room teacher?
We didn't have a home room. The whole concept is a dumb waste of time better spent learning. We had first period, and it was a class.

23.Who will repost this?
Probably people who went to high school, or people pretending to have. Maybe a few stray dogs, and at least one penguin. What kind of stupid question is this?

24. Did you play any sports?
My entire gym class consisted of me walking around the track with my friends because Illinois makes every student take PE, and there were too many students in each period for the coaches to do anything with. They were happy if we didn't try to burn anything down. If chess could be considered a sport, I played that unofficially. Bishops were called "penny holders," despite the fact that we figured out through vigorous scientific study that the slots were too narrow to actually hold a penny. The name stuck anyway.

25. Do you still talk to people from high school?
My best friend Cass, but we were friends before and after high school, so I'm not sure if that counts. Every once in a while I see someone who recognizes me from high school and we talk a bit, but generally, no. I'm a recluse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home