Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Easy Math For Bureaucrats

More proof that the State of Illinois doesn't know what they're doing. They're handing out instructional guides on how to read licenses to determine if kids are old enough to buy cigarettes. Out of mild curiosity, I picked one up and found this inside:



I'm sure any one of you can tell me what's wrong with this situation, but for those of you who can't, I'm going to spell it out for you. I'm not going to take the time to do a four step fucking story problem equation in my head while customers are waiting in line. I refuse.

Here's a much simpler solution. This year is 2007. Eighteen years ago it was 1989. Any year prior to 1989 is OK to sell. If the year on the license is 1989, then you have to look at the date. How difficult is that? 1988? Perfectly acceptable. 1986? Great! 1973? Not a problem. 1990? Sorry, no dice.

It's just a matter of knowing what year to look for as the cutoff and possibly what the current date is. It's not that difficult. They probably paid some mathematics expert thousands of dollars to invent this other convoluted method, and spent millions on the advertising campaign, and I undid it all for free in a matter of three seconds armed with nothing more than my own common fucking sense.

Idiots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home