Saturday, August 11, 2007

Driving Gripe #Q

I never really put too much stock in the term "Sunday driver," but seriously, what the fuck are people doing on the weekends? I went out to get a few things around eight this morning, and everywhere I went, people were driving like they have no purpose in life. I'm talking a good ten, fifteen, twenty MPH under the speed limit.

I'm not asking anyone to break the law by speeding. If I'm inclined to take the risk, then that's on me, but I won't ask for someone else to do it for me. However, I'd like to at least drive somewhere near the speed limit. If the speed limit is 35 MPH, for instance, I'd rather not be crawling around at 20 MPH like I'm casing the neighborhood. If you have nowhere to be, then don't get in the car in the first place. Stop clogging up the roads like a giant glob of cholesterol.

Seriously, this morning it was like no one on the road knew how to drive. Sure there were very few people on the road, but they made up for it by volume of sheer stupidity. I'd get cut off by one person going 20 MPH in a 40 zone, and as soon as they would turn off I'd get back to speed for a couple of blocks just in time to catch up to someone else going 20 MPH. And ever single one of them wanted to stop for every traffic light regardless of whether it was red, yellow, or green. Yes, green. I was actually behind one person who stopped for a green light while other people went by them, and waited for it to change yellow, then red, then back to green before they started forward again. I swear I wanted to follow them home and drive by their house very slowly while staring menacingly, just to make them paranoid for a while.

So the moral of the story is to never assume that just because the traffic isn't heavy that you're going to get anywhere in a hurry. Stupidity needn't come in bulk to be inconvenient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home