Monday, October 22, 2007

Poetry Corner #6: "People In The Diner"

I don't really have anything to write today, and I'm not in a particularly great mood to come up with anything, so here is another song. It's been a while anyway.

This is where I tried my hand at a progressive rock piece. I'm thinking specifically of Nineties Genesis, particularly the stuff that didn't suck. No really, there're some songs on We Can't Dance and especially ...Calling All Stations... that were actually really good. The music in my mind for this one would have a really elusive sense of epic wonder like "
One Man's Fool" off ...Calling All Stations... Anyway, set this to a moody, introspective, atmospheric, keyboard-driven, prog rock background.

People In The Diner
See the people flocking to the windows
See their faces peering through the glass
They stare in wonder as they watch outside
A hundred thousand people walk right past

What do they see as the people walk by?
Why do they care as they watch this day?
No one ever cares what the other is doing,
Maybe it's just better off that way...

See the people, they'd never cared before
See them suddenly so curious
See them stop and watch in silent wonder
As life passes by for the rest of us

What do they see as their lives pass them by?
Why do they suddenly take heed?
No one ever cares what the other is doing,
Maybe it's just better off that way

I see people in the diner stop what they're doing
I see people in the diner suddenly care so much
I see people in the diner staring out the windows
I see people in the diner taking interest in such…

Ridiculous things…
Ridiculous things…

See the people disregard the lives
Of the people most important to them
They only make time for those trivial things
That had never really much matter to them

What do they do as they neglect their lives?
Why don't they care what's important to them?
No one ever cares what the other is doing
Maybe it's just better off that way

I see people in the diner stop what they're doing
I see people in the diner suddenly care so much
I see people in the diner staring out the windows
I see people in the diner taking interest in such…

Ridiculous things…
Ridiculous things…

See the people after it's all over
See them go back to their meals
They act as if nothing had happened
Though everyone knows what everyone feels

What do they feel now that everyone knows?
Why do they act as if nobody saw?
No one ever cares what the other is doing
Maybe it's just better off that way

I saw people in the diner stop what they're doing
I saw people in the diner suddenly care so much
I saw people in the diner staring out the windows
I saw people in the diner taking interest in such

Ridiculous things…
Ridiculous things…

No one ever cares what the other is doing
Maybe it's just better off that way
I saw people in the diner take interest in such…
Ridiculous things today.

np: Genesis - "One Man's Fool"

(Citing it gave me a craving to hear it.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home