Saturday, May 19, 2007

Ahead Of Their Time

Some artists are just adept enough to notice trends in the music scene long before critics are able to adulate, get bored with, and pan them. One such artist is Jaz Coleman of Killing Joke, who in 1989 effectively predicted the obsoletion of actual instruments used in pop music through the mid- to late-Nineties up to this very afternoon. Their song, particularly about "electronica" but applicable to any form of dance music, was aptly titled "The Beautiful Dead."
The crowd was one, oblivion ran deep
A consciousness of cannon-fodder walking in its sleep
Vacant expressions, and don't look ahead
Everybody dance with the beautiful dead I said!

All queue up and gravel for a hit
Someone pulls the reins then you chew at the bit
Encouraged by commercials to spend beyond my means
I laughed as it all fell apart at the seams

Hey! Take a good look at tomorrow!

But will I inherit the good green earth?
Such a lovely world

All mod-cons there was dust on the drums
My electronic beat-box got the job done
Everybody emulate the pulse of the soul
And change your clothes to make you feel whole
Effort and sweat was a thing of the past
They said welcome to the world of the beautiful dead
Seattle didn't just give us Queensrÿche, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Nevermore. Back in the mid-Eighties an awesome sounding thrash metal band called Metal Church hit the scene and outside of relative obscurity, they pretty much went nowhere. Still, in 1991, they observed a particular trend that was just starting at the time, and they decided to write a song about it called "The Human Factor." They predicted in 1991 the tired overuse of sampling and changing classic songs by modern pop stars with very little real talent to speak of themselves.
I just can't believe my ears, some music out these days
The human factor has diminished, in oh so many ways
Fancy footwork gets top bill and I'll put on such a show
One more Midi cable and my band is ready to go
One more moneymaker and I'm set for life
Stealing from others will make my future bright

One, make some money; two, overexpose
Sincerity is felt much more when the human factor shows
When the human factor shows

I just need a sample cause no one says it's wrong
It's so easy to rip-off using someone else's songs
Everybody wants to be a star in modern days
But if I don't have talent then I'll just get by this way
Changing programs faster than I dare to say
Musicians all make mistakes who needs them anyway?

One, make some money; two, overexpose
Sincerity is felt much more when the human factor shows
When the human factor shows

I just heard a song today I think I'll use a part
incorporate it my own way and that is just the start
I'll change the lyrics that they wrote to satisfy my needs
I wrote the book. Two easy steps. "How to succeed."

I just can't believe my ears, some music out these days
The human factor has diminished, in oh so many ways
Fancy footwork gets top bill and I'll put on such a show
One more Midi cable and my band is ready to go
One more moneymaker and I'm set for life
Stealing from others will make my future bright

One, make some money; two, overexpose
Sincerity is felt much more when the human factor shows
When the human factor shows
When the human factor shows
When the human factor shows
Finally, heavy metal icon Ronnie James Dio laments the broken wasteland that comprises the modern hard rock scene filled with soulless songs by careless bands ruled by an industry that would rather pump out replicas of clichés than risk supporting any artists who might be new, original, refreshing, or at all inspiring, in his 2004 song "The End Of The World." It may seem like he's singing his swan song, but the man is 65 and still kicking ass all over the heavy metal scene, currently reunited for a promotional tour with Black Sabbath.
If I could sleep at night
Then somehow I'd see
Why everything's wrong
Or maybe it's just me
Does anybody know this place that I'm in
Why I might be alone
Imagination is a terrible thing
What if I'm wrong
But here's what I've been thinking
It must be the end of the world

What ever happened to the rock and roll song
Breaking your brain
Making you stronger
They say you never hear the bullet that kills
And I don't hear a sound

It's not about a change or revolution
What's gone today is still called substitution

Don't get emotional but we're out of time
The melody's gone
And fools have got the sunshine
If I'm mistaken and I see you again
Don't leave me alone
Maybe tomorrow
Could be the end of the world

Don't make wishes
Don't waste time
Call the ones you hate
You'd say I'm sorry but they'll have to wait
Fot the end of the world
Bye bye bye bye bye bye