Thursday, May 17, 2007

1,000th Post

Today marks a certain anniversary for this incarnation of The Civility Webpage. This is the 1,000th published post. I'd like to say that it means I've been writing for 1,000 days, but given that some days I made more than one post, and I was forced to take a five day hiatus back in January of 2006 while I moved, I'm about a month or so off from a thousand actual days. Still, 1,000 posts is a fuck of a lot of posts. Maybe not nearly as many as it could be, but I've still managed to at least impress myself.

Unfortunately, I also have a bit of an announcement to make. I was waiting until I get to the one-thousand mark to do this because I was very close when I decided, but I think I need to take a break. The original idea was to write one post per day about something, mainly because I used to get annoyed by other bloggers and webcomic artists who don't update when they're supposed to. I think this current formula is wearing a bit thin, though. Between working and being tired all the time otherwise and trying to find a better job, I'm finding myself distracted and I'm just not coming up with enough stuff to write about on a daily basis. And even when I do think of something to write about, I can't devote the time or energy to it that I would like to in order to bring it to its fullest potential.

I'm sure many of you have noticed that I'm generally only putting out one or two fairly well-constructed posts per week and the rest of it is either crap or filler. The lack of quality is really bothering me. The pressure and anxiety I'm feeling from worrying every day whether or not I'll have something to write about the next day is really affecting me. I'm honestly losing sleep over my webpage. How insane is that? I have enough to worry about without having to feel undue pressure from updating a blog. It's becoming less of a hobby and more of an obligation, and thus it's consuming too much of my life and my mental energy, and it's not as fun or rewarding anymore.

I've thought about this a lot, very critically, and I've come to only one possible conclusion I think would benefit myself as well as my few known and legions of unknown loyal readers. I'm going to change this from being updated daily to being updated, basically, whenever I feel like it. I think this will give me the opportunity to compose better quality posts as I have the time and as I get ideas, which will hopefully give you, the reader, something more worthwhile to spend a few minutes of your day reading. It will also give me the opportunity to relax and do this for fun again by taking the pressure to perform off of me. If I have a momentary dash of inspiration I may post a short blurb any day while I'm working in the background on a larger project.

All-in-all, it might turn out to be essentially what I'm doing right now anyway. The only reason I'm stating this as my intention is so no one has to worry if I happen to not update for a day or two here and there. I just want to be able to have the freedom to not post anything if I have nothing to post or no time to post it on any certain day. This is going to be an experiment to see if I can write posts of higher caliber given more time to expouand upon ideas. If given this extra time and extra freedom, my posts still generally suck, I may go back to the daily routine.

Just so you don't have to worry about whether or not I'm still alive or if the Feds have finally arrested me for making fun of Bush, I still plan on updating my image server, the
Internet Art Gallery on a daily basis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home