Monday, February 12, 2007

I Am A Cultural Retard

I am culturally retarded. I am just now starting to get into Tuvan folk music and throat singing. I'd heard it before; I just never really knew what it was called or bothered to see if there were any recordings of artists who practiced it outside of monasteries. In case anyone else reading this is as culturally retarded as I am, the first few minutes of the video below is exactly what I'm talking about. These are quite possibly some of coolest musical sounds to ever be produced by human vocal cords.



Now, keep in mind that I am an American, and as an American, I feel it is my sworn duty to bastardize anything ever created by any other culture. With that in mind, I propose that heavy metal music adopt this technique. I'm thinking primarily of the dark, heavy, atmospheric, orchestral heavy metal dirges like Therion is keen to produce. Could you imagine hearing some really low, thick guitar chords with some thudding, ambient percussion, then having those vocals flowing along with it? I tell you, that death metal growling shit would be a thing of the past.

Still, though, I'll take this. I could escape with this stuff in the background all day long. It's dissonant and ominous and utterly beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home