Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I Am A Cultural Retard Again

From what I can recall, I've never heard of this movie before a few days ago so I downloaded it and watched it before I found out that it was public domain over Google Video. I purposefully avoided online reviews so I wouldn't have my judgment corrupted by the opinions of people who, admittedly, know a lot more about films than I do.

It's poorly scripted. This has been excused by the fact that movies with dialog was still a new and experimental medium at the time. It's fairly poorly acted, but this can be forgiven because the majority of the "actors" are not really actors. The only special effects make-up used was for one particular scene at the very end, and you'll know which one it is without me having to spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it. Actually, the non-actors' acting was relatively better than that of the real actors in a lot of cases. After a while, though, you get used to it to the point that you don't even notice the bad acting. It's not like it's
Puppet Master Vs. Demonic Toys, which had no excuse for being among the worst pieces of fetid crap ever committed to celluloid.

Once you get past the relatively forgivable, bad scripting, acting, and editing, it's actually not that bad for a B-movie these days. It's actually kind of good for a B-movie from 1932. Some of the allusive imagery throughout the climactic scenes is actually quite clever. Despite its flaws, its quirks will draw you in, its heart will capture you, and its message will compel you. Monsters aren't distinguished by their physical characteristics, rather they are qualified by the darkness of their souls. Whatever you might say about the production of this film, its prolific message is no less true or important today than it was seventy-five years ago.



Unrelated, but while fucking around with Yahoo!Briefcase yesterday, I discovered that the links to the songs from last Tuesday's post didn't work. It seems Yahoo! changes the tripcode to the files on a particular sequence apparently to prevent hotlinking. So I put each song in its own folder and linked to the folders, like I also did for yesterday's song, so hopefully you'll be able to access all of the songs now. Yes, I scrambled the song titles. I found that public Yahoo! Briefcases show up in search results, so I wanted to make them a little more difficult to come across by accident.

np: Simple Minds - "One Step Closer"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home