Sunday, August 07, 2005

FAQ #7: Why Do I Hate Americans?

This is based on an actual comment I received on one of my posts back in April. The [ahem] kid, (I make that determination after a cursory review of his own profile and weblogs), actually accused me of hating Americans and suggested that I leave the country.

Ha ha, loser. The all-or-nothing, you’re-with-us-or-against-us mentality didn’t work for George W. Bush, and it surely isn’t going to work for an impertinent, little punk like you. I’m sure it makes you look really patriotic to tell everybody you see to just get out of your country, but some of us aren’t so ignorant as to believe that everything is perfect with a place just because you happen to have graced it with your presence. Last I checked, we weren’t ruled by crazy Islamic fundamentalists that make us love everything in our land of origin or we die. In America, we have the right and responsibility to determine if we don’t like something and to do something about it. Patriotism may be defined in your limited perspective as blind allegiance to your country, but some of us are wise enough to know the difference between true patriotism and dangerous fanaticism.

Now, that being said, I have nothing against Americans. If one were insightful enough to actually ascertain the concept of my writings, (which is not terribly difficult), one would easily figure out that I don’t hate Americans, but that I hate the selfish, callous indifference, ignorance, or outright cruelty that some human beings inflict upon other human beings. That kind of hostility transcends racial, sexual, and national boundaries.

Basically, besides writing about trivial observations that tickle my fancy, I mainly write about instances of inconsideration that I observe wherever I happen to be. Right now, “wherever I happen to be” happens to be in America, so what I observe and what I write about happens to be, generally, Americans. I understand how that could be a tough concept for some to follow. If I were living in France, I would probably be writing about the French. In Germany, I would be writing about Germans. In Outer Mongolia, I’d be writing about the Outer Mongolians.

However make no mistake, I am an American, and I do love America. Even if I don’t like every American, and even if I don’t agree with everything our country and our leaders do like a blind monkey on a short leash, I do agree with the principles upon which our country was founded. I think we’re living in what is currently still one of the greatest countries in the world, and any country that comes close does so mainly based off the governmental doctrines established in America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home